Thursday, February 28, 2013

Just a Stranger in a Strange: Land Part 4 – Personalities, The Enneagram



The Enneagram lists 9 personality types:


Type One is principled, purposeful, self-controlled, and perfectionistic.

Type Two is generous, demonstrative, people-pleasing, and possessive.

Type Three is adaptable, excelling, driven, and image-conscious.

Type Four is expressive, dramatic, self-absorbed, and temperamental.

Type Five is perceptive, innovative, secretive, and isolated.

Type Six is engaging, responsible, anxious, and suspicious.

Type Seven is spontaneous, versatile, acquisitive, and scattered.

Type Eight is self-confident, decisive, willful, and confrontational.

Type Nine is receptive, reassuring, complacent, and resigned.

The above descriptions are taken from this site, which is the best introduction to the Enneagram that I have found online:
https://www.enneagramworldwide.com/test/
They do want $10.00 to take the online test.  Personally I think you can find your type just by reading about them, or use the free test below.    

This is another excellent site, and also relates these types to the Myers Briggs’, but not always perfectly.  Many links to explore here:

Free Enneagram test:
This test is not always correct.  But, will give you and idea of what type you might be.  The test typed me incorrectly, but my correct type was listed second. 

Each of these types relate to each other.  When stressed you tend to another type along the linked lines.  You also have a “wing” which is one of the nearby numbers.   Additionally, many of us have several features within the 3 or 4 types nearby to your central type. 

An interesting part of the Enneagram is that there are also levels within each type.  Just as in other levels of development that we have discussed, they have to do with how much you identify with the ego.

I really like Helen Palmer’s books on the Enneagram.  You may like the books better, if you are a person who still reads books.  I have many, many books!   

The Enneagram does take some time to study.  The above links or books are great starting places.  I won’t try to repeat much here, the sites are much better than anything I can organize in this short blog. 

But, let me give a personal example, I am a 7.  Sometimes labeled as the Peter Pan.  I need to be excited about what I do.  I tend to gluttony, for example, buying too many guitars, bikes, and telescopes.  I like to think of myself as a Renaissance man, with a multiplicity of skills and talents, and too many higher educational degrees!   

I have a 6 wing, the Devil’s Advocate.  I have trouble with authority.  Sometimes when I am stressed I become more like a 5, and isolate myself, in part because of my introverted nature.  Usually, when stressed I go across the designated line and become more like a 1, the Perfectionist.  

As predominately a 7, I procrastinate until the deadline is just about due, or even past due.  The when I feel sufficiently stressed by the deadline I become a perfectionist type 1 machine, churning out that paper, grant, or talk I have to get done.   My wife calls that my cheetah mode, running quickly and precisely toward my goal.

My difficulty is with routine work.  That is one of my basic challenges, showing up to get the work done that needs to get done on a daily basis.  Chop wood, carry water. 

Here are a few nicely put together recommendations for personal growth.  Both general recommendations, and also for each Enneagram type:
http://drdaviddaniels.com/growth-practices/

There is another more esoteric approach to the Enneagram as outlined in A. H. Almaas’ book “Facets of Unity.”  Almaas is working at a higher level.  His interest is in how your understanding of your basic type can help lead you toward an evolution to higher consciousness. 

He writes so beautifully.  Indeed at this level of consideration of Enneagram types, you can see that you really embody all types.  Just you have some stronger tendencies than other types.  He labels these types your “fixations,” or blind spots.   

On page 126 Almaas writes:  “Rather than being oriented toward achieving a certain state of consciousness, a practice that makes sense must be oriented toward freedom from wanting certain states.  True freedom is not the realization of a certain dimension; true liberation is to be free from all dimensions.  It is the freedom of completely accepting whatever the universe manifests through you.”   

Wow!  Surfing the universe.  Or, perhaps, allowing the universe to surf you. 

There are a multitude of personality measures that have been used in the psychological and social studies literature.  We touched on two, the Meyers Briggs’ and the Enneagram.  Currently, these latter two are a little less well used in the literature of science.  Nontheless, I have found them both to be invaluable in explaining why so often I feel like a stranger in a strange land. 

Theories of lines and levels of development and personalities are all maps of the varieties of humans you will encounter, including yourself.  They are maps, not the territory. 

As Ken Wilber writes over and over again, maps help you understand the territory.   But, you must walk and experience the territory for yourself in order to truly understand and grow.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addendum 07/29/17 - My current favorite book on the Enneagram:
The Essential Enneagram: The Definitive Personality Test and Self-Discovery Guide -- Revised & Updated Paperback – May 26, 2009  by David Daniels, Virginia Price





No comments:

Post a Comment