Friday, June 14, 2013

The Second Commandment: Love Everything – Part 5

The Love Everything Table of Errors


Positive Errors

Negative Errors
Ignorance Errors
Self
Narcissism
Self Harm
Unconscious Self Shadow
Others
Idiot Compassion
Unfair Punishment
Unconscious
Societal Shadow


The Error of Ignorance of the Self Shadow

If you feel a strong flooding emotion, it is probably coming from your unconscious shadow.  Often, you are rejecting an unacknowledged part of yourself that you have hidden away within John Bly’s “long black bag” you are dragging behind you. 

In the past I had a strong aversion to overweight people.  I later realized this strong emotion came from my own rejection of my hidden self that wanted to over consume.  My Hungry Ghost.  This Ghost is described in Buddhism as beings with pinhole mouths that can never get enough to eat. 
 
My hungry ghost manifests itself by buying too many things for my hobbies, and some overeating as well.   Often, I can see myself overeating and overbuying when I am stressed.  These acts likely raise my serotonin and endogenous opioid levels. 

Exercise is a healthier way of raising these levels. 

When I acknowledged the existence of my Ghost and asked, “how has this tendency helped me in the past?”  I could thank my Hungry Ghost for being there when I needed to self soothe myself during times of stress. 

I can then incorporate my Ghost into my conscious awareness.  I can let it sleep within me, and realize it is there if I need it in the future. 

I no longer have this strong aversion to those who are overweight, and no longer project my Hungry Ghost upon them. 

I have compassion for them, because, I have compassion for my own Hungry Ghost. 
 
If you feel a strong emotion to someone or something, turn around and dig into that long black bag you are dragging behind you. 

Find that hidden unconscious shadow.  Bring it forth into the light. 

Acknowledge what it has done for you in the past, and let it go back to sleep. 

Then watch how you walk through life a bit more lightly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment