Monday, October 12, 2015

William Faulkner on Work

There was a quote from William Faulkner in the “The Week” October 9, 2015, on page 19: 

“It’s a shame that the only thing that a man can do for eight hours a day is work.  He can’t eat for eight hours; he can’t drink for eight hours; he can’t make love for eight hours.  The only thing a man can do for eight hours is work.”

I was a bit surprised at this quote. 

I know he is a much more thoughtful writer than this quote leads us to believe. 

I was coming up with all sorts of other things I could do for 8 hours rather than work! 

Riding my bike, writing, fishing, reading, meditating… 

So, I Googled this quote and got the more complete version: 

“There were many things I could do for two or three days and earn enough money to live on for the rest of the month. By temperament I’m a vagabond and a tramp. I don’t want money badly enough to work for it. In my opinion it’s a shame that there is so much work in the world. One of the saddest things is that the only thing that a man can do for eight hours a day, day after day, is work. You can’t eat eight hours a day nor drink for eight hours a day nor make love for eight hours — all you can do for eight hours is work. Which is the reason why man makes himself and everybody else so miserable and unhappy.” 

Ah, that is more like him!  

Context can often completely change the meaning of a partial quote. 

Now there is great quote.  Outlining the desire to enjoy life. 

The desire to live life fully. 

As Rabbi Harold Kushner said:
Nobody on their deathbed has ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office.” 

There is nothing wrong with work. 

There is everything wrong with work that is a waste of time, or work that hurts others. 

So lets end with 2 more quotes:  

If I could live my life again
   in the next one I would try to make more mistakes
   I would not try to be so perfect, I would relax more.
   I would be more dumb than I have been, in fact
   I would take very few things seriously.
   I would be less hygienic.
   I would take more risks, more trips,
   I would watch more sunsets,
   I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers.
   I would go to places where I have never been to,
   I would eat more ice-cream and less beans,
   I would have more real problems and less imaginary ones.
   I was one of those people who live sensibly and
   prolifically every minute of their life.
   Of course I had happy moments. But if I could
   go back I would try to have only happy moments.
   In case you didn't know life is is made of that, of
   moments only; don't waste this very minute.
   I was one of those people who never went anywhere without
   a thermometer, a bag of hot water, an umbrella and
   a parachute; if I could live again, I would travel light.
   If I could live again I would start to walk barefoot
   at the beginning of the Spring and stay like that until the end
   of the Fall. I would go around more on the calash, I would contemplate more
   dawns and I would play with more children, if I had again life
   ahead.
   But, you see, I am 85 years old and I know I am dying.
                                                            -- J. L. Borges



To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.  This is to have succeeded.
                                                            -- Ralph Waldo Emerson





No comments:

Post a Comment