Saturday, October 11, 2014

Efficiency, Growing Edges, and Letting Go

So much of life is getting clear about where we should spend our time and energy. 

Some things seem to come naturally to us.  Since, that skill does not require much effort, perhaps we can think that we can be very efficient when plying that skill.

Perhaps we can compare this to what is at our growing edge.  Perhaps it is a skill that we may not be so naturally efficient at doing, yet, we want to develop more fully. 

And, maybe, we can even consider what things we are better off leaving to others.

We can also consider that some skills, that at first we may consider to be a weakness, later may turn out to be our greatest strength. 

Maybe we need to spend those 10,000 hours to fully master that skill. 

Maybe, because we feel we are weak in that area, that we have the strength of perseverance, to work hard at developing this skill. 

Of course, natural ability has much to do with that 10,000-hour suggestion. 

Perhaps there are some things at which we are very skilled.  Yet, it doesn’t bring us much enjoyment.  Maybe it is boring because we are so good at this skill.  Maybe we need something else to challenge us. 

Failure can be a great teacher. 

I am really good at science and medicine.  Yet, the practice of medicine can sometimes get tedious when it is not challenging. 

Science tends to be an ever-changing set of questions.  As soon as you think you know something.  Bam!  A new question arises. 

As my father said: “The more you know, the more you realize how little you know.” 

Here are many skills that are simply overall helpful.  I read rather quickly.  That skill is used for learning science, medicine, and learning about all my myriad hobbies.  As well, it is a source of enjoyment of a good entertaining novel. 

I am not so naturally skilled at music.  Yet, this has been a great joy for me these past 4 years.  Playing guitar, then ukulele, and more recently I’ve been toying with the banjo.  I am not very good. 

But, usually I play for myself.  And my wife is tells me I am getting better! 

I am a naturally skilled tool user and do many small projects.  Not, always my favorite thing to do.  But, I hate to spend money for things I can do myself. 

Yet, I no longer change my own oil in my car.  Some things are just worth paying others to do. 

You can get better at relationships.  Those are important skills.
Also see parts 2-5. 

Can you get “good” at meditation?  How do you decide what is “good.” 

Perhaps, some things you do because you are pulled towards that practice. 

Meditation presents us with a different way of thinking about a “skill.”

In meditation, you are dropping everything that gets in the way of seeing clearly. 

You are actually not doing. 

You are not suppressing your thoughts. 

You are watching what arises. 

And letting what arises drift away. 

Perhaps, your mind gets quiet. 

Perhaps not. 

Everything is welcome…

So, some skills come naturally to us.  We are efficient at performing them. 

Some skills are our growing edges and a welcome challenge for us. 

Other skills perhaps are best left to others, as it is just not worth our time to learn.  That is one form of letting go. 

In meditation we also practice letting go, over and over again. 

Wishing you each clear seeing. 

Knowing your efficiencies, your growing edges, and practicing letting go… 

over and over and over… 

Namaste




No comments:

Post a Comment