Sunday, August 25, 2013

Do I Have to Be Perfect?

I was thinking about the 3 commandments (followed in strict order, of course).

1-There is only One Source. 

            2-Love Everything. 

                        3-Enjoy Yourself. 

Then I wondered, would people feel that had to be perfect in following these Commandments?   What if you were my friend, and you screwed up. 

You did something that put Enjoy Yourself ahead of Love Everything.   Maybe, you had a steamy affair.  Or, you hurt someone for what, at the time, looked like a good cause. 

Would you be afraid that I would think badly of you?
 
First of all, that would assume that I did everything perfectly myself. 

And that would be a wrong assumption.

I am human, just like everyone else.  I mess up just as often.  Well, I never had an affair.  But, I have many other faults. 

I can be jealous of others.  Perhaps they don’t have to work.  Or, maybe they don’t work any harder than I do, but make loads more money. 

I have my hungry ghosts and I spend a bit more than I really should. 

The key is Radical Acceptance.  

I forgive myself for those transgressions.  I try not to shoot that second arrow. 

Therefore, I also forgive my friends.  They are also allowed to make the “Oh so human mistakes” that simply being alive brings to us. 

Yes, following the 3 Commandments in strict order can be helpful in living a less stressful life. 

But, forgive yourself when you are not perfect. 

And, forgive me when I am not perfect. 

Then we can travel together, laughing at our imperfections. 

Perhaps,
            sharing

                        a nice red wine…



No comments:

Post a Comment