Thursday, May 23, 2024

Do We Create Reality?

Watching the Apple TV plus series Dark Matter.  

I have read a few of Blake Crouch’s books, not read this one.  

What I have read, usually deals with the nature of reality…  

Warning:  Spoiler Alert ahead…  

Currently watched the 4 released episodes, last one May 22, 2024. 

The current premise is that scientists built a box that can allow travel to different dimensions on earth.  What we just learned, is what you are thinking about at that moment allows you to open a door to that dimension.  

The antagonist built this box to travel to an alternate reality where he did not leave his pregnant girlfriend, and so can return to a loving wife and 16-year-old son, he did have to get rid of the protagonist, his alternate self, but did not kill him, instead sent him back to the antagonist’s alternate reality.   You can read or watch the rest yourself, if interested.  

I am more interested in the idea that we have a hand in creating our own realities.  

On one level, what we think, sometimes, results in what we do.   

For example, on a population level, if enough of the US population thinks that Trumpf is a good choice to be president, and goes out to vote for him, then that may turn into a (dreaded) reality.  

On an individual level, if we bank or invest money on a regular basis, investing in our future self, we may be able to live a life with more ease, maybe even retire before we die.  That of course also depends on the state of the economy, and factors that may have allowed us to have enough income to bank or invest our money.  

There are those who think we have no choices, that we have “No Conscious Will.”   

http://enlightenedmdphd.blogspot.com/2017/05/

It is possible that all our actions and behaviors arise from our genetic tendencies altered by our environmental experiences.  

However, I like to paraphrase Ramana Maharshi, “There is no Destiny, There is no Free Will.”  

Truth in paradox…  

I like to think we have a responsibility to act at the highest levels…  

Perhaps we might follow the precepts of our religion of origin, or an adopted set of precepts…  

There are:  The 10 Commandments, Jewish 613 Mitzvot, Buddhist precepts, and I assume many more…  

I like my “Three Commandments”  

http://enlightenedmdphd.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-first-commandment.html

Or it can be very simple, such as, “Be Kind”  

I like to think that I can choose to be kind and compassionate, I can make choices to invest in my future self, I can be a force to make the world a better place through my actions and behaviors.  

I could be correct, or I could be fooling myself…   

Perhaps, in the end, this world is mostly a Mystery…  

Namaste




No comments:

Post a Comment